[mythtv-users] Shuttle SG33G3 System?

Reid Anderson reidsanderson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 05:13:06 UTC 2007

I'm working out the specs of a MythTV machine I would like to build and
looking for thoughts and feedback...

Shuttle SG33G5 Intel G33 Socket Barebone
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3247598&CatId=336

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2905631&CatId=2758
     I could drop down to a Core 2 Duo at 2.33, 2.66 and save a little or a
Core 2 Duo at 3.0 for the same price as the Quad 2.4...

2GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz RAM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2882686&Sku=O261-8070
     I could go up to 4GB, but that seems like ridiculous overkill...

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 7200 RPM 1000GB SATA-300 Hard Drive
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3333210&CatId=139
     I could use two smaller drives, but one big one leaves an empty spot
for another big one later...

pcHDTV HiDef TV Card (using the PCI slot in the Shuttle System)
http://pchdtv.com/hd_5500.html

[Some PCI-Express TV Card] using the PCIe slot in the Shuttle System
     Looking for thoughts on a PCI-Express TV Card, HiDef and/or Hardware
Encoder would be nice, and a remote would help but that could be separate...

[Some DVD Burner]
     Anything that can burn recorded shows/movies to DVD for portability and
playback in standard DVD players, and do so reasonably quickly...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
     Reid