[mythtv-users] Shuttle SG33G3 System?

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Fri Nov 30 05:26:35 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
>> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
>>
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2905631&CatId=2758
>>      I could drop down to a Core 2 Duo at 2.33, 2.66 and save a little or a
>> Core 2 Duo at 3.0 for the same price as the Quad 2.4...
>>
> I would get the 3Ghz Core2 over the Quad. MythTV does not make good
> use of a second core so I will bet you will get more performance from
> the higher clock.

Actually, I'd go for more cores than faster cores. You don't need all
that much CPU power just to record/watch TV, but the extra cores allow
you to transcode/commflag more programs at once (assuming your disks are
fast enough, of course).

It all depends on how you plan to use the system, though. Personally, I
think 2.33 GHz dual core is more than enough for most things. Use the
money you save to buy an extra hard disk :-)

Dean.