[mythtv-users] Signal Strength and Quality

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 14:12:10 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 7:02 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay at softlog.com.au> wrote:
> Is there any way to view the current signal strength and quality while
> viewing Live TV?
>
> --
> Lindsay

If you're talking about a DVB tuner, the femon command line program in
the linuxtv dvb-apps package does that.

I just started using it recently with my pcHDTV HD-5500 tuners,
however I found that I needed a kernel patch (for cx88 based DVB
cards) in order to actually use it while the mythbackend was using the
cards.  I had to modify the patch referenced here:

http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-August/020025.html

For my current 2.6.22 gentoo kernel, I had to subtract 70 from all the
line numbers in that patch.  The kernel driver is supposed to allow
any number of read accesses while one process has write access, but it
was only allowing single read access while any process had write
access.  The patch fixes that.

It works great.  If I want to adjust my antenna rotor I open a
terminal window on the frontend and ssh to the backend and run femon.
While it's monitoring the card I can change channels with the remote.
Very cool.  I even discovered that my antenna wasn't pointed as
ideally as I thought for New York area stations, and I was able to add
a full 10% strength or more to all channels.

Tom