[mythtv-users] Upgrading to HD

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:46:21 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 8:34 AM, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 9:29 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 30, 2007, at 6:19 AM, Josh wrote:
> >
> > > That's not any fun! What's the road block? Are you unable to control
> > > the HD receiver with Myth or something?
> >
> > Unlike cable companies that are required by the FCC to offer Firewire
> > output from their STB's, satellite companies are under no obligation
> > to output HD video in any sort of format that is readable by anything
> > other than a TV. Therefore, they offer HD output from their box as
> > HDMI and Component (and probably s-video which is standard def).
> > There's no cost-effective way to capture HD content via HDMI or
> > Component from the box. It's better explained in the many other
> > threads on the list about this very same topic. :)

> So it's focused on the HDMI output... that would answer almost all of my
> questions. Damn. Hopefully they'll come up with a solution for linux and
> HDMI in the near future cause I'm starting to itch for HD.
>
> --
> Josh
> TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com

The answer is OTA and HDHomeRun.  All those HD channels that DirecTV puts
out are a waste.  Most of them have very limited HD content (LOTS OF
RERUNS).  Even with the flux of HD channel i would guess 75% of HD is shown
OTA.  And if you remove Discovery and History its more like 90%.  Plus OTA
is FREE!

Mitchell