[mythtv-users] HD Capture support from Component

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 20:53:27 UTC 2007

> Essentially, have these editing capture cards (these types, anyway) been
> tried for HD?  Is there anyone working on drivers for the x2?  I agree
> it is alot of $$$$, but some people are spending that kind of money
> looking for native HD options.  Also component, unlike HDMI doesnt have
> the hdcp issue, etc. and most devices will output to this format for
> plugging into HDTV's.

I think that if you're willing to spend this kind of money, then you may
be willing to spend the money to hire a developer to create a "nano"
backend.  Something that runs on Windows and understands enough of the
mythtv protocol to open a capture device, dump to disk, then close the
capture device.

You'll probably spend hundreds of hours trying to write a native Linux
driver for a device that is released without specs compared to the much
simpler task of using the DirectShow API to talk to the card.

Heck, you could probably do it in perl!