[mythtv-users] Network execs added 1 minute to program length

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Oct 1 04:26:03 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 September 2007 18:48:02 Gary Elder wrote:
> Network execs have screwed up my ability to record shows on different
> channels for success hour blocks. For instance, ABC runs Grey's Anatomy
> from 8:00 to 9:01PM.  This causes Myth to show a conflict for NBC's
> showing of ER at 9:00PM, and subsequently doesn't record.
>
> Is there a way to setup scheduling so ER (in progress) will start
> recording at the conclusion of Grey's Anatomy at 9:01?  I can override
> the ER schedule so that it starts at 9:01, but it seems NBC doesn't
> always run the program over 1 minute every week and I don't want to
> sacrifice the beginning of ER if it is not needed.

There's a padding option somewhere in the menus, but I don't recall its
precise location. Reconfigure one of your recording rules so that you get the
behavior you want in the event of a conflict and then set the padding rules
so that MythTV adds an extra minute (or whatever you require) to shows when
it can. Note that the padding won't show up in the upcoming recordings list,
but it will work. FWIW, I've got my system to pad one minute before and one
minute after, whenever possible.

Alternatively, buy another tuner card. Even a card that's not as good as your
main card might be acceptable for this sort of contingency, and you can find
bargains on software encoding and non-Hauppauge MPEG-2 cards on eBay. OTOH,
if you're a satellite TV subscriber this will require you to rent another
receiver box, which will cost more than a new tuner card in the long run.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com