[mythtv-users] Video quality?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 12:30:01 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Kevin Page <mythtv-users-list at krp.org.uk> wrote:
> I find a good comparison is watching the ticker at the bottom of a news
> channel (e.g. News 24 in the UK). It's not _horribly_ jerky with MythTV,
> it's just not as smooth as a STB using the same LCD monitor. Obviously
> with the PC using the DVI connector and the STB using composite the STB
> and/or LCD will be doing different processing on the composite feed -
> but they're both receiving the same broadcast.
>
> I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were something to do with
> de-interlacing - it has the "smell" of it. Unfortunately I completely
> rebuilt the OS on my PC in preparation for Myth so I can't go back and
> check on my perceptions as they were before the rebuild.

I'd put my house on deinterlacing being the major problem. The other
issue is probably the refresh rate on your monitor.

Your monitor is probably defaulting to 60Hz (most seem to) which will
never give you smooth playback of PAL material with Mythtv at the
moment. Other solutions seem to have the capability to alter the
framerate while deinterlacing (e.g. some Windows apps, Playstation 3)
but mythtv in its current state does not attempt it. You may be able
to force the monitor to accept a 50Hz modeline - I managed with my
Dell.

As far as deinterlacing is concerned; if (like me) you're cursed with
noticing less than perfect playback, bob is probably you're best
friend if you're using the latest stable release.