[mythtv-users] IR Blasting question

Josh Trutwin josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Mon Oct 1 13:57:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:32:44 +0100
Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> Josh Trutwin wrote:
> >
> > Of course then I have my mythtv box in the #@#$ basement.  If I do
> > this I could probably use a coax notch filter + modulator to send
> > the output of mythtv to all streams on channel 77 or something -
> > but then I'm left with finding a way to send the computer in the
> > basement signals to control myth's frontend.
> >
> Of course you could do it the proper Mythtv way, which is to say
> you split your box, and put the Backend in the basement (perhaps
> with 3 tuners, one for each stream?) and then have separate front
> ends upstairs, one for each TV.

Good point, but I think I'll start with one stream - right now we
don't watch a great deal of TV so one frontend accessible from a
notched channel seems to suite us well.

> Each of the front ends has it's own dedicated IR remote, and can
> select whatever they want without affecting, or needing to affect,
> anyone else. You have then isolated your channel-selection problem
> to the backend software in the basement, if I read your situation
> correctly.

Each front end is a separate PC running myth?

> Of course your supply system sounds weird. I think I might have
> been looking at a satellite solution if I was in your situation...

I like this system, a little hard to work with now but when my
neighbors are not getting reception in a storm, I have no problems.

Thanks for the suggestions though,

Josh