[mythtv-users] WYCC-DT, MythTV choosing wrong audio track

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Mon Oct 1 16:06:55 UTC 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007 10:40:51 am Brian Wood wrote:
> Anthony Messina wrote:
> > On Monday 01 October 2007 09:07:59 am Anthony Messina wrote:
> >> When using my HD-5500 to tune to channel 20-1, WYCC-DT, I get good
> >> signal for video and two audio tracks. For some reason, MythTV chooses
> >> the "second" audio track which does not tune properly and is very
> >> static-y. When I manually change the track to the "first" one, the audio
> >> is perfect.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure how to address this issue.  How do I get MythTV to select
> >> the right audio track at the start of the tuning process so I don't get
> >> static for audio when I record something in the middle of the night?
> >
> > Further investigation reveals that the audio track that MythTV chooses is
> > AC3 5.1, which is probably correct (for MythTV).  That is the audio that
> > is scratchy.  The AC3 2 channel audio is perfectly clear--the one I have
> > to switch to manually.
> >
> > Strange thing is, I get perfect AC3 5.1 on all the other OTA digital
> > channels except this one (WYCC-DT Chicago).  Is there a place to adjust
> > the audio frequency "tuning" parameters for a specific channel?
>
> There is no such thing as the "audio frequency" on a digital channel,
> it's all embedded in the same digital stream with the video.
>
> Start at the source, can you get decent audio on the "bad" channel by
> going directly into a receiver?

thanks for helping.  i am not sure what you mean "directly into a receiver."

i have myth doing audio out to my stereo via optical cable.  when i tune to
20-1 (WYCC-DT) in 5.1 AC3, the stereo receiver shows that it's receiving 5.1
digital surround on the display, but there is tons of static. if i switch
over to 2 channel audio, it still gets to the receiver using the optical
cable, and the stereo receiver shows that it's getting 2 channel digital
audio.

no static with the 2 channel audio,
lots-o-static with the 5.1 channel audio

no issues with any other tv channel using either 2 or 5.1 channel audio.

i've tried screwing with the antenna placement, etc. to see if it's a
reception issue, but no matter where i place the antenna, the audio never
changes (for better or worse).  i live in the city so i get plenty of good
signal.

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E