[mythtv-users] Myth on a Laptop

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Oct 1 16:32:59 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> Several people have played with "Myth-to-go" over the years, myself
>> included.  There just doesn't seem to be enough critical mass, or a dev
>> with enough time and desire, to put it all together.  (I'm not
>> criticizing here; I'm one of those who has the need but not the time /
>> knowledge / desire to get it done.)
>
> I suspect there's a lack of a lot of interest.

Yup.

> What might you want to do "on the go"?
>
> Watch recordings? You can do that easily by just transferring the files.
>
> Schedule recordings? You can do that now with a web browser.
>
> You can grab any recordings not already on the laptop over the net.
>
> Anything having to do with optical media would require physical access
> to the main machine.
>
> Maybe tuning and watching live TV (a la Slingbox) would be desired, but
> by how many?

Well, the original concept involved adding a "to go" interface where you
can pick movies and recordings to transfer to the 'to go' box.  The
plugin then rsyncs those recordings over, extracts the appropriate data
from the master BE SQL database, and stuffs it into the remote BE SQL
database.

That way, when you unplug from the network and reboot, Myth comes up,
automagically fires up its own BE and SQL database, and has the correct
data in the database to watch what you want.

The whole idea is "disconnected operation" rather than "remote
operation".  We travel a lot, and take movies for the kids (and us) on a
small PC.  This way we can play what we want, with no need for
connectivity to the web.

--Yan

--
  o__

'man' is short for 'manual' because it's very short, for a manual.