[mythtv-users] Slow myth TV user interface on a fast machine

Kevin Page mythtv-users-list at krp.org.uk
Mon Oct 1 16:41:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 15:45 +0100, Paul Mason wrote:
> t'll play full-screen video at 1280x768 (which is the highest
> resolution my TV with do) smoothly. Since I'm using it for SD
> (Freeview in the UK) that's more than I need.

I had my xorg.conf set for a resolution of 1920x1200 since that's the
native resolution of my panel. MythTV menus were pretty laggy (I don't
have a particularly great graphics card).

As you point out, this is complete overkill for SD/Freeview.

Whilst investigating other issues, I changed xorg.conf to 720x450 and my
menus now zip along.

(I'm not saying that particular resolution has significance - in my case
I'm still fiddling with supported resolutions/refresh rates for my panel
- but that Myth menus seem much quicker with lower resolutions. Which is
obvious in hindsight, but I hadn't come across it in any documentation.)

Regards,

kev.