[mythtv-users] Aircraft Sounds, was: Coax splitters - how painful are they?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 1 16:57:37 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:26 AM, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>>> Pretty neat actually; some guy with a Baron just
>>> loves to bury the throttles. IMO, a beautiful sound.
>>>

>>  	Not quite as sweet a sound as a big radial Pratt & Whitney...
>
> When I lived in Ypsilanti, Michigan, the Yankee Air Force Museum's
> B-17G used to fly low over my apartment on its way towards Willow Run
> Airport.  The sound was wonderful and instantly recognizable.  The
> best kind of airplane noise. :)

I once got a 3 hour ride in "Sentimental Journey". This was at an
airshow in Colorado in the early '80s. Chuck Yeager was there (in a
wheelchair, kind of a step down from the X-1).

But those radials still don't have the sound of the Merlins. My Dad flew
P-51s, but hadn't heard or seen one since 1946. When one flew in to our
local airport in 1986 my Mom said he was up and out of bed standing in
the backyard in his underwear yelling "where is it? I know that sound!"

beww