[mythtv-users] Myth on a Laptop

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 1 17:20:35 UTC 2007

On 10/01/2007 12:51 PM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> What might you want to do "on the go"?
>>>
>>> Watch recordings? You can do that easily by just transferring the files.
>     Not so easy.
>
>     First you have to map the file names to something interesting.

mythrename.pl --link

I always copy shows from my "sorted by title/original airdate" view (I
have 5 different directories of links, each sorted by different
criteria).  The command I use to create the directory is:

mythrename.pl --link /path/to/link/dir \
              --format '%T-%oY%om%od-%S' \
              --underscores \
              --separator '-' --replacement '_'

To get nice "shell-friendly" filenames with no spaces ordered by
title/original airdate.

>  Then
> it's relatively straightforward matter to transfer them. Although even
> then you've got network file share setup issues. The appropriate type of
> shared filesystem may not be already setup.

Yeah.  And, figuring out the right way to use the network file system
can be a challenge.  I.e. learning to disable Unix extensions on Samba
so copying a link dereferences the link, thereby copying the actual file
contents but using the link name.  Or, learning to properly configure
NFS permissions (which are dependent on UID, rather than user name).  Or
using an external drive to move the recordings.  Or, learning to use scp
effectively.  Though once you figure this out, it's quite easy to
continue using the approach.  (I take more time deciding which shows I
want to take with me than specifying the scp command line to copy the
shows.)

Mike