[mythtv-users] usage, myth + mac environment + mac ignorance

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Oct 1 17:36:37 UTC 2007

On Oct 1, 2007, at 10:07 AM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

>>> The best way is to run the frontend natively on the Mac so they have
>>> access to all the features the frontend provides.
>
>     Yeah... but MythTV is a sort of "take over your desktop/machine"
> sort of app. So what does it really matter what OS you're running
> underneath when you're running MythTV?

It doesn't matter. The question is what is the best way to access
myth's storage areas from the mac. The answer: Run the frontend so
you get the full benefit of it.

By the way: You can run the frontend in a window so it doesn't have
to be that sort of "take over your desktop/machine" experience you
describe.

>     I would expect that things like driver support, library support
> & the maturity of the relevant code (mythfrontend/mythbackend) would
> all be more important.

Sorry, what are you talking about and why?

>> The native Mac frontend is way cool, but you can also use samba
>> from a Mac
>> if you like (for instance, to load files if she were to be
>> traveling or
>> otherwise unable to access the backend). The shortcut key is
>> command/apple-K, and then use cifs://servername/sharename to get a
>> login
>> prompt. Then play files with VLC or equivalent.
>
>     No nfs? Bummer...

You can do nfs, samba, webdav, whatever you want. The original
question mentioned samba shares.