[mythtv-users] Slow myth TV user interface on a fast machine

Tom Metro tmetro+mythtv-users at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:40:38 UTC 2007

Alex Halovanic wrote:
> You will have terrible performance with the free nv driver and the
> menus if they're being drawn with the default OpenGL painter as it's
> basically trying to emulate 3D hardware using only software.

Confirmed, though the OpenGL setting only has a noticeable impact on the
upper level menus, where it fades in/out the selections in what appears
to be slow motion. Overall it makes the situation worse, but it doesn't
make the menus that were slow before any slower.

The problem is specifically with the show selection menus and similar
menus. Not the top-level menus or the recording group selection pop-up menu.

> Have you tried my suggestion of changing the 'Paint Engine' to QT in
> the Setup->Appearance menu and restarting the frontend?

As another person mention, I had always been using qt until I tried
OpenGL for the first time today.

I've been suffering from this slow menu problem for like 6 months, but
being on a combo BE/FE machine where the FE gets only occasional use for
video editing, I hadn't been adequately motivated to research it.
However, I had been surprised to see no mention of the problem on this
list until just now, and wondered if it was a problem specific to my system.

My symptoms were pretty much as the OP described, and I also noticed
that the problem would occasionally fix itself, but I never observed any
correlation with any specific action - just that if the FE was left
running for a long time (on the order of weeks) it would go away, and
after restarting the FE (not the computer) it'd be back. I also noticed
that this problem was introduced with some of the updates just prior to
the Ubuntu Fiesty release (Feburary timeframe).

As others have reported, switching to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers
fixed the problem. However, I did run into a glitch with the driver
switch. I happened to have left the FE in OpenGL mode when I upgraded
the driver, and when I tried running the FE again the prescaling screen
was normal, but then the main menu screen appeared just as a black
window (I run the FE windowed). Dragging the window caused a blue
background to flicker into view, but no menus.

I probably could have flipped some setting in the DB to fix this, but
Ubuntu makes the driver switch only a few clicks, so I reverted,
switched back to Qt, and went back to the proprietary driver, where it
worked fine.

Apparently the OpenGL implementation is broken in the proprietary driver
with my hardware, which is an integrated video chip in the NVIDIA
nForce2 chipset (lspci reports GeForce4 MX). Could be Ubuntu's
Restricted Device Manager chose the wrong driver. (The howto mentions a
legacy driver, but it installed the mainstream driver.)

  -Tom