[mythtv-users] comments on hardware for a combined frontend/backend

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Oct 1 20:48:26 UTC 2007

On 10/01/2007 04:31 PM, matt lutz wrote:

> If you have the time, can you please comment on my proposed
> frontend/backend?
>
> Motherboard - ASUS M2N-E
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131022
>
> CPU - AMD Athlon
> 6000+http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773
>
> Memory - G.Skill 2GB
> (2x1GB)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
>
> Video Card - nvidia
> 6200LEhttp://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814121019
>
> Hard Drive - WD SATA2
> 500GBhttp://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136143
Looks good.  Couple of comments.  Athlon 6000+ ?  Do you do a lot of CPU
intensive stuff on this machine?  Even playing 1080i and 720p will only
take about 50-64% of one of the cores on a 3600+ without using xvmc.
Unless you need that much horsepower I would go with one of the 65watt
or 65nm AMD X2 and enable cool-n-quiet.  2Gig is a good amount for
combined front/backend.  Any reason for the WD hard drive?  I haven't
had any problems with them in a while, but I usually get the Seagate
with 5-year warranty.  WD is typically 1 year (in this case they don't
say what the warranty is).

--
David