[mythtv-users] Confused About HDHomeRun

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Oct 1 21:25:32 UTC 2007

On 10/1/2007 1:34 PM David George said the following:
> On 10/01/2007 03:49 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I have a MythTV box running .20.2 on Gentoo.  It has one PVR-250 and one
>> pcHDTV 3000 card.  I have two lineups on SchedulesDirect, one for
>> DirecTV and one for the antenna.  The DirecTV lineup is the video source
>> attached to the S-Video input on the PVR-250 and the antenna lineup is
>> the video source for the pcHDTV .
>>
>> Now I have added a HDHomeRun to my network.  I added the HDHR as two
>> separate capture cards in mythtv-setup and they show up as additional
>> tuners in the status page.  I used the same antenna lineup for both HDHR
>> tuners as I use for the pcHDTV card.
>>
>> So now I expect to see most conflicts resolved in my upcoming recordings
>> as I now have 3 HDTV tuners but this is not the case.  MythTV is not
>> using any of my HDTV tuners for recording, only the PVR-250.  I'm at a
>> loss as to what I've missed.  Both tuners were working fine before.  Do
>> I need a separate lineup for each tuner?  That doesn't seem right to
>> me...  Any ideas on what I can check to resolve this?  I was hoping to
>> resolve some conflicts before prime time tonight.  :)
>>

> Try a 'mythbackend --resched' on your backend.  Sometimes I am not
> patient enough after adding a card for a reschedule to happen, so the
> --resched will force it right away.  And yes, do this while the backend
> is running.

I tried but no joy.  Although now that I've scrolled down a bit in
Mythweb, I see that the scheduler is using one of my HDHR inputs
sometimes but not nearly as often as it could.  Here are my current cards:

cardid   cardtype          dbox2_port
 8       MPEG              31338
 9       HDTV              31338
10       HDHOMERUN             0
11       HDHOMERUN             1

Cardid 8 is the PVR-250 and is connected to a DirecTV tuner box via
S-Video.  Cardid 9 is the pcHDTV 3000 and cardid 10 & 11 are the HDHR.
All three of these tuners are connected to an OTA antenna and a
corresponding lineup that only includes the digital channels they can
receive.  All card priorities are set at 0.  I have a +2 priority set
for HD programming.  Thus in this configuration, I expect that HD
content will record first on the pcHDTV card, then on HDHR port 0, and
finally on HDHR port 1.  Non HD content would first attempt to use the
PVR-250 and then follow the previous priority.  And for completeness,
all DirecTV channels will record only on the PVR-250 (obviously).

But what I am seeing is that in most cases, all content is attempting to
use cardid 8.  If it is busy, then mythtv marks the show as a conflict.
For example coming up at 1700 PDT this evening, my local news is
broadcast both on analog channel 3 and on digital 3_1 in HD.  At the
same time, Judge Judy is shown on local analog channel 31 and although
not in HD, it is also broadcast on digital channel 31_1.  This scenario
happens every weekday evening.

Normally, because the news is flagged as an HD broadcast, myth records
it with pcHDTV card and records Judge Judy with the PVR-250.  This is
exactly the behavior I expect.  However tonight myth has scheduled Judge
Judy to use the PVR-250 and shows the news as a conflict.

Yet tomorrow at noon, there is an episode of Cops that is not flagged as
HD yet it's scheduled to record using cardid 10.  Nothing else is to be
recorded at that time so this makes no sense to me.  It should record
using cardid 8 or if a conflict, cardid 9.  I think my computer has a
mind of its own.  :)

Help?!?

Thanks,

Drew