[mythtv-users] OTA HD in .nuv format?!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 2 16:10:07 UTC 2007

On 10/02/2007 11:50 AM, Rich West wrote:
> While migrating my main recording file system to a new SATA drive, I
> noticed that the last few OTA HD shows that were recorded have a .nuv
> extension.  I checked the profiles for those shows and they are not set
> to transcode.  I don't remember manually transcoding them, either.  One
> of the shows was recorded late last night, so I know I didn't transcode
> that one.
>
> Is there something obvious that I am missing here...?
>
> I checked the archvies, but since I really don't know what could be
> causing the problem, I wasn't too sure as to what to search for..

Is it really in NUV format or is it just a file with a .nuv extension?

$ file 1009_20051119195800.nuv
1009_20051119195800.nuv: data

is a NUV file

$ file 1009_20060924220100.mpg
1009_20060924220100.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex

is a PVR-x50-recorded MPEG file

$ file 1021_20061212200000.mpg
1021_20061212200000.mpg: TeX font metric data
(ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ)

is an OTA HTDV recording

You can also use mplayer (especially with verbose output) to get "real"
container-/CODEC-type information.

Mike