[mythtv-users] need help with my irblaster.info irblaster w. lirc/MythTV

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:54:46 UTC 2007

On 02/10/2007, Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:

> I've compiled and installed lirc from source using the following build
>
> --prefix=/usr --with-transmitter --with-driver=hauppauge
> --with-driver=serial
>
> Doing the following, I'm getting the connect to socket error
>
> # irsend --device=/dev/lirc0 SEND_ONCE dish 3
> irsend: could not connect to socket
> irsend: Connection refused
>

> The irsend manpage says the following:
>
>  If lircd is not running (or /dev/lircd lacks write permissions) rc
> aborts with the following diagnostics:
>        "irsend: could not connect to socket"
>        "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied").
>

> if lircd is running as root, this would rule out permission issues,
> right? Any ideas what I should look into here?

I would configure another lircd socket, /dev/lircd1, attached to the
serial transmitter's LIRC device (likely /dev/lirc1). I think your
system is trying to use /dev/lircd which is attached to the Hauppauge
device, which does not support sending.

You can do this if using two different LIRC kernel modules such as
lirc_serial and lirc_i2c. I think you still have to compile 2 separate
instances (with unique major/minor numbers, info on the MythTV wiki)
if using lirc_serial with two different serial port devices.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/