[mythtv-users] Myth on a Laptop

Jon jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:14:07 UTC 2007

> I am setting up mythtv to use on my laptop so that I can import shows
> I've recorded and videos I have to take with me when I travel.
>
> I have myth all set up, but I cannot connect to the master backend on
> ip 127.0.0.1. I don't have any tuner cards, and don't need any, I just
> want to be able to take what I have on my home system with me
> periodically.
>
> Anyone else doing a similar setup and can offer any tips or tricks to
> make this work well?
>
> Thanks.

I think the optimal solution in this case is a simple perl script.
This is a function that I have been wanting for a long time, and it
has taken until now for me to figure out how easiest to implement it.

Here's what I would do (I may work on this when I have time, but
don't hold your breath):

On my laptop, I would create a perl script. The script would ask for
your master backend IP, the remote storage directory (if available),
the local backend IP (possibly loopback, maybe autodetected, not sure
how I would do that, but no matter), and the local storage directory.

Then once it has all those variables, it would connect to the
masterbackend and get the recorded program listings from the
masterbackend and insert them into the localbackend, and copy
corresponding data files over.

If one were a perl guru, one could have it check the localbackend and
make sure that the files/entries don't already exist (say copying an
entire series, even though you already have some episodes) and if
they do ask if you want to overwrite or ignore.

So... if someone wants to do this, I'd be glad to do some testing for
ya!

~Jon (who would then have to figure out how to get a backend running
on his powerbook without a capture device)