[mythtv-users] Slow video playback in MythTV/MythVideo

Jeff Stockett jeff at endlesstech.com
Wed Oct 3 16:03:09 UTC 2007

----- "Flip_5" <ltemtmike at hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so I have setup MythTV and MythVideo in Ubuntu 7.04. My frontend
> see all my videos and can access them (after I finally fixed shared drive
> mounting issues) however the playback is so slow, plays about 3 seconds of
> video at a time with 5-10 second pauses in between. I am on a wired 100Mbps
> network. Surely this is enough bandwith to handle the traffic. I even have it
> totally dedicated to only the backend server and frontend computer. Videos
> play fine directly from the backend machine. Specs are as follows:

Your hardware looks ok - sounds like some sort of network configuration problem.
100Mb/s is plenty for uncompressed DVD.  A few things to try:

1.  Install openssh-server on the server box and use the scp command on the client
to transfer one of the movies over to the client.  Observe the speed reported during
the transfer (note that scp isn't terribly effecient at gigabit speeds, but should
have now problems maxing out a 100Mbit connection).

2.  If scp reports back transfer speeds of around 10-11MB/s then there is nothing
nothing physically wrong (i.e. bad cable, funky NIC or partially supported driver,
funky switch, etc.) and it is most likely a config issue with NFS or SAMBA or
something they depend on.  See here for help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto