[mythtv-users] Could someone just clarify a TV out question?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Oct 3 17:18:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 09:53 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Drew wrote:
> > If any one or more of those stages aren't up to the task of handling
> > the video stream, you can get stuttering in the playback.
>
> I don't think he's describing stuttering, but rather an interlacing
> or frame rate issue.  Maybe he could clarify if there's actual
> stuttering, or if he's seeing camera pans and news tickers sort of
> slowing and speeding up instead of moving smoothly.  The latter is a
> common symptom of the frame rate of the video and the frame rate of
> the display not lining up.  I see it pretty routinely when playing
> back DVDs (24 fps) on my PC's monitor (60 Hz).  There's no way to
> evenly divide 24 into 60 so playback will never be perfectly smooth.
>
> The original poster is playing back TV content on a TV, so in theory
> it ought to be smooth.  I've never set up TV out, though, so I'm not
> sure what the problem could be or if there's a way to fix it.  I'm
> curious, though, because I *will* be setting up TV out soon.

I'm curious about this as well. I have an fx5200 using the TVOut
(actaully twinview using an LCD Monitor and the TVOut). Anyway, watching
regular SD TV programs is fine, but it's not even close to good enough
for sports, not even golf. I would love to be able to watch football and
be able to replay things since the normal broadcasts seem to show less
and less replays. Anyway, I've noticed if I put on LiveTV on a channel
with a ticker the ticker is not smooth.

If I play a program with a ticker and I look at the TV and at the
Monitor (unfortunately not right next to each other) the TV seems vary
between stuttering and smooth, while on the monitor it's much more
consistent, but still not what I would call smooth.

Does this sound more like you describe as an interlacing or frame rate
issue?

James