[mythtv-users] Digital to analog audio crossover

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 17:30:58 UTC 2007

Hello, I hate to 'hijack' a discourse that may not
have to do with my problem, but I think I have a
question about this too.  Though, this might be more
of an alsa oriented question; it has to do with
mythtv's ac3/dts audio passthrough to spdif outputs.

I have the system connected via optical to a surround
system, but I also have it connected via the stereo
'line out' to the television speakers (in case someone
wants to watch television without the surround system
on).

  When I enable the ac3 to spdif passthrough, the
surround system recognizes the channel's dolby digital
sound, but when I listen through the TV's speakers
(which is connected to the mythtv box's 'line out'),
all I hear is crackling.

  But when I disable the passthrough, I get audio from
the speakers, and I get audio from the surround
system.  Unfortunately, the audio being piped to the
surround system is now only stereo, not digital
surround.

  So is there a way to get stereo sent to the tv, and
digital surround sent to the receiver, like it was
when I enabled the spdif passthrough in mythtv?  Oh,
and if this is something that Mythtv isn't capable of
doing, but Alsa is, let me know so I can ask the
people there.

Thanks,
Sam