[mythtv-users] HDTV recording and multiple tvs

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Oct 3 18:32:12 UTC 2007

On 10/3/07, Jeff Meeks <jmeeks at permacrete.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>             I am curious about the MythTV setup. I have an interested
> client that currently has 4 direct tv / tivo HD receivers that are beginning
> to fail and asked about "something different".
>
> He currently has his whole house wired with ir receivers that connect to
> ir blasters. He can watch any of the receivers from any of the televisions
> in the house by choosing which receiver from the remote that is programmed
> for that TV. (Oh, he is using a sony lcd remote).
>
>             He is installing a new HDTV in his media room and would like
> to record HD programming as well as SD for his other TVs.
>
>             My questions are:
>

> Can MythTV record as many as 4 shows one of which may be HD.?

Yes, given enough disk I/O bandwidth.  I currently record 2 shows HD and 2
shows SD with commflagging with no problem on an old Athlon 1800 system with
EIDE disks.

What about playback or recording and watching the same show?

Yes.  No problem, again, your major limitation revolves around high I/O on
the disks

Do I need a frontend for each TV, or could we have one big backend with
> multiple tuners that could be controlled with remotes?

Frontends.  The CPU playback requirements of HD will make any kind of
multi-headed single system for playback difficult.  The multi-headed stuff
is difficult to start with so you're just asking for trouble.

Kevin