[mythtv-users] Channel icons

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Oct 3 23:02:00 UTC 2007

On 8/29/2007 11:05 AM Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/29/2007 08:26 AM, Matt Mossholder wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 05:39 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>

>>> And how exactly are you trying to get the icons?  As described at
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.5 ?  If so, which
>>> method?  Using "perl mkiconmap.pl" or using the "mythfilldatabase
>>> --import-icon-map" approach?
>>>
>> I'm not actually "trying" to download them. It is just occurring as a
>> consequence of running mfd, without any prompting on my part.
>>
>>> If you're talking about error messages you get during a normal
>>> mythfilldatabase run, please try updating your icons as described in the
>>> HOWTO (link above) and see if you still get the errors after.
>>>
>> I'll give it a shot and report back...
>>

> Actually, here's a better approach...
>
> Can you please download
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/export/14358/trunk/mythtv/contrib/master_iconmap/master_iconmap.xml
> and then run:
>
> mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map master_iconmap.xml --reset-icon-map
>
> (that's all one line--just in case it's broken apart by the e-mail) and
> then see if you still get the error.
>
> Also, the icons specified in the new iconmap are /much/ better quality
> than the old ones, so you may actually want to "reset" your channel
> icons to ensure you download new ones.  If so, just add " all" (no
> quotes) to the end of the mfdb command above.

After following the directions at
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.5 I came across this
thread and decided to try it.

> When reporting back, please specify whether you ran the "perl
> mkiconmap.pl" command before resetting your iconmap (doing so would
> likely "fix" the symptom before the problem is fixed).  And, if you did
> use mkiconmap.pl, please let me know whether you reset channel icons
> with "all" (doing so would clear out the entries that mkiconmap.pl would
> have put in place, so would "unfix" the symptom, making it a good test,
> again).

I ran mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map master_iconmap.xml
--reset-icon-map all which left the channel table with every icon field
set to "none".

Next I ran mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map master_iconmap.xml
--update-icon-map.  The new icons are *MUCH* better quality and there
are icons for more DirecTV channels.  It even found an icon for a local
PBS channel (KVIE) that I receive.  My only disappointment was that
there is no icon for CBS.  I edited the channel table icon field to use
the lesser quality icon from Zap2It.

If there's any other information I can provide that's helpful, please
let me know.

Thanks,

Drew

--