[mythtv-users] Nova-t 500 blank screen requiring reboot

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 00:25:04 UTC 2007

On 03/10/2007, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> John Taylor wrote:

> > Gone back to standard Nova-T DVN card; will sell the 500 and reinvest
> > in another standard Nova-T- seems to be far more stable.
> >
> Don't sell the 500; return it. In the UK you have the right to have a product
> that works. Yours sounds obviously faulty. Take/send it back and see if you can
> get a replacement. There are lots of messages on this list about problems with
> 500s, it's likely you got one of the duff ones.

John,

IANAL-BIWWL:

If you're going to do this, remember that Linux is completely
unsupported as far as Hauppauge is concerned (check the box for their
supported operating systems), and that in order to test whether the
card is faulty (satisfactory quality), you'll need to test it on
Windows.

I recently purchased a Nova-T 500 but actually received a Nova-TD 500
which a) was not compatible with my AMD Windows boxes, and b) was not
what I ordered. I had no problem returning the item for a full refund.

I therefore very much doubt that your statutory rights under the Sale
of Goods Act can help when:

a) you are using the card in an unsupported way and you did not
specify Linux support as a requirement to the retailer at the time of
purchase (can rule out fitness for purpose claim), and
b) the card is undamaged and works on Windows 'as advertised' (can
rule out satisfactory quality claim)

The 7-day mail order cooling-off period applies when goods are
returned unused and unopened to the retailer. It is not a
try-before-you-buy scheme.

Of course, your retailer may accept it back no questions asked - in
fact if you specifically asked for a card that works reliably on Linux
you have a claim under SoGA 'fitness for purpose'. In my experience
this is not the norm, especially where returns are frequently tested
if you claim goods are faulty, and where retailers do not guarantee
Linux support when you enter into the contract to buy the goods.

Weclome to the fun of buying Linux-supported hardware :)
--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/