[mythtv-users] HELP!!! Sound lost from all but HDTV shows.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 4 03:04:42 UTC 2007

On 10/03/2007 10:44 PM, Marc wrote:
>> Marc wrote:
>>
>>> Monday night Oct 1^st came home and watched an HD show and then went
>>> to watch a show from the PVR.. and I had no audio. Try as I might I
>>> could not get the audio to play at all.
>> If you are pumping everything through SPDIF, then either something
>> changed in your asound.conf or within the output device as configured
>> within mythtv. Check out the SPDIF wiki entry and go through the steps
>> there to confirm that everything is as it should be.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_
>> SPDIF
> That's just it Rich.. I haven't changed anything and it worked fine the day
> before..

(See how I used the Delete key... ;)

I'm guessing you have a corrupted sound card state that's being saved by
the very helpful startup/shutdown scripts.  Most likely if you rmmod all
your sound modules, then delete the /etc/asound.state, then modprobe the
sound module, then unmute/set sliders, you'll be able to hear sound
again.  (Unless, of course some nice modprobe.conf remove configuration
runs the sound state restore at just the wrong time.)

Mike