[mythtv-users] Screen flicker

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 4 03:39:49 UTC 2007

Brian Phillips wrote:
> I'm sure this has been brought up, but I can't seem to get the right
> combination of search terms for gossamer threads.
>
> I have a Hauppage pvr-500 with Phillips tuners and am enjoying my new myth
> box.  On some channels (not all) there is a small flicker in the bottom
> quarter-inch of the screen.  Just some flickering horizontal line running
> across the bottom of the screen is all.  Other than that, the display is
> nice.
>
> My setup involves an Nvidia 5200 with s-video out to a little modulator that
> places the signal back onto a coax so my old school television sits on
> channel 3 (tv doesn't have s-video inputs).  I don't think it's the
> modulator, because this flicker only occurs on about 3 of my 20 channels.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hmmm... Wish I could see it.

What you describe could be a lot of things, many of which are not Myth
problems at all.

Consumer video recorders often put the head switching of a VCR at the
bottom of the screen (broadcast gear puts it in the vertical interval).
This would appear to be some slightly-elongated white dots at the
bottom, usually not quite stable in horizontal position.

Character generators or other non-standard video sources can cause
artifacts to appear at the bottom of the screen.

These are the most likely non-Myth sources.

Is the problem you see in the actual picture area or below it? Is it
always on the same channels? All of the time or intermittent?

beww

beww