[mythtv-users] Watching HD streams on a SD set

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Thu Oct 4 04:30:55 UTC 2007

On 3-Oct-07, at 11:07 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> George Nassas wrote:
>> On 3-Oct-07, at 7:20 PM, Enigma wrote:
>>
>>> 915G graphics using the i810 driver.
>>> Also, does anybody know if Myth supports XvMC for this device?  The
>> It's not myth that has to offer the support but rather the driver.
> Firstly, you *do* need myth compiled with xvmc support. If you build

Yes, that's correct. What I meant is XvMC is a generic interface that
myth codes to and consequently any graphics driver that supports its
side of the interface will automatically work with myth.

> Re drivers:
> Now I notice that the Xorg.0.log says something to the effect that the
> XvMCSurfaces line is ignored, and then the i810 driver seems to use
> xvmc...

Total guess but perhaps there's confusion going on because the driver
supports XvMC on older intel graphics chips (ie 4+ years old) but not
for the recent stuff so maybe there's a "yes I can"/"no I can't"
thing going on depending on the application's query. Just a guess.

Anyway, the good news is last July there was a post in one of the
xorg lists where Keith Packard, who's working on the intel drivers,
said they were going to try to have XvMC supported on recent chipsets
by the end of the year. Seems like there's a lot of these type of
announcements lately but because of who made it I tend to have more
confidence.

- George