[mythtv-users] Network execs added 1 minute to program length

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:25:28 UTC 2007

On 10/4/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Matt wrote:

> >> The solution is to tell Myth to do this then. :)
> >>
> >> Set a hard "start early" of -1 on E.R.  Set a global pre-roll of
> >> 1 minute.
> >>
> >> When Grey's Anatomy is scheduled to end late at 9:01, then the scheduler
> >> will ignore the global pre-roll and will start E.R. at 9:01 as scheduled.
> >>
> >> When Grey's Anatomy is scheduled to end at 9:00 on the dot, then the
> >> scheduler will give E.R. the 1 minute global pre-roll and you won't
> >> miss the start of E.R.
> >> Chris
> > Yup... that's good advice Chris!
>
> I went surfing the Setup Menu and got entirely lost.
>
> Chris, could you please set out, as exactly as possibly *where* these
> parameters are set? They are NOT near each other in the UI, as far as I
> can tell. I found, I think, what you refer to as 'global pre-roll' but
> I'm not sure it was not 'hard start early' and that makes a difference.
>
> And I think *where* these items are is quite different between the
> standard and SVN streams.
>
> (And here I always thought that 'hard start' was the problem you have
> with your car when it's -40 outside!)
>
> Geoff

"Soft" is the global value found in Settings -> TV -> General ->
General (Advanced) on the two
options "Time to record before start/past end of show in seconds".
These are the values to set to  large positive numbers (360, 720,
etc).

"Hard" values are the ones found on individual recording schedules.
They are the ones that show up as "Start Early"/"End Late" on MythWeb,
or under "Recording Options -> Scheduling Options" on the frontend
listed as "Start/End recording on time" as default.  These are the
values that you'll want to put as negative for shows that don't behave
politely.

Ry