[mythtv-users] Network execs added 1 minute to program length

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Oct 4 19:48:20 UTC 2007

> On 10/04/2007 01:39 PM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>> Given the long history of this sort of shenanigan (TBS was pulling
>> this crap all the way in the 70's), I would have thought there
>> would be logic to deal with this beyond the most blunt approach of
>> hardcoding a delta.
>>

> There is.
>
>> Determine which show gets cutoff (recording priority is a good start).
>>
>> Determine if shows should get recorded if cutoff.
>>
>> Mebbe determine a threshold for the cuttoff amount.
>
> These are all user-configurable options that are specified in the
> Upcoming Recordings when doing conflict resolution.  :)
>
> Myth assumes you don't want partial recordings.  If you do, you should
> create a rule to do the partial recording you've decided is worthwhile.

That's a dumb assumption.

A big portion of the recording is going to be immediately discarded
(commercials) to begin with. Plus the beginning and end are very likely
disposable (the credits).

Depending on the show, lopping off the first or last minute or 5 might
not be any problem at all. Or it might be preferable to missing it.

Manually managing exceptions is contrary to the whole point of a PVR.