[mythtv-users] Network execs added 1 minute to program length

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 4 22:55:09 UTC 2007

On 10/04/2007 05:02 PM, Mike LaPlante wrote:
> Forgive me for jumping into this so late in the thread. But let me see
> if I understand this.
>
> Jedi doesn't like that Show A runs 1 hour and 2 minutes, because that
> means Show B will be conflicted and not record. Yes?
>
> So wouldn't a simple solution be to have an option allowing episodes to
> start up to XX minutes late? So if Grey's Anatomy is scheduled to run 62
> minutes, I can have a pre-configured option saying any show following
> that is allowed to start up to 5 minutes late, or 25 minutes late if I
> wanted.

No.  IMHO, it should be a per-rule configuration, so I can say--under no
circumstances record partial episodes of The Simpsons, but feel free to
start up to 29 minutes late or end up to 29 minutes early each episode
of American Dad.  (And this cannot make the current start early/end late
optional.  There must be a new setting--either a boolean that turns each
of start early/end late into optionals, or, better, new int settings
"Allow start late" and "Allow end early" that take a number of minutes
just like start early/end late.)   Oh, and make sure you deal with all
the logic for what happens when there's optional end early on some
programs that record before programs with optional start late and in
such a way that it works for multiple different types of cards with
different priorities and ...  I highly recommend starting with
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/195124#195124 (and make
sure you read all 5 pages).

> Again, this thread has been going on for days and I've just been
> deleting it, so I'm sure this has been discussed. But I'm not sure what
> the arguing is about. It seems like a simple enough option to add. Then
> again, maybe I missed something and its more complicated than that.

Perhaps simple for someone who wants it.  Seemingly not simple for those
in this thread asking for it (because none have said they're making a
patch).  :)

Mike