[mythtv-users] refresh rates etc

victor rajewski askvictor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 05:47:25 UTC 2007

Hi everybody,

First up, I'm trying to sort out some confusion in my head about
refresh rates. I live in PAL country. SD pictures are broadcast
interlaced at 50 fields per second. This would translate into 25
frames per second if they were deinterlaced. I'm using a CRT monitor
for viewing. Do I need to de-interlace at all or is this only for LCD
monitors? Now, the graphics card/monitor I have seem to restrict the
available refresh rates to 60, 75, and 85. I'm choosing 75 as it seems
the best fit. Should I be messing around to try to get 50hz output, or
will it be irrelevant?

The next thing is about switching refresh rates on the fly. While my
TV signal is in PAL, some DVDs and archived movies are in NTSC (well,
30 odd fps anyway). I suspect there is an increasing amount of mixing
going on around the world, what with the advent of the internets and
all. So if my mythtv setup is optimised for playing 25fps content, an
NTSC disc will not play back so moothly, right? So is there a way for
myth to detect the framerate of what it's about to play, and adjust
the Xwindows refresh-rate accordingly?

Cheers,

vik