[mythtv-users] Could someone just clarify a TV out question?

Simon Bell mail at simon-bell.net
Fri Oct 5 08:55:49 UTC 2007

>  Hi,
>
> I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject of MythTV and
> outputting to a TV, due to a problem I'm having.
>
> The smooth playback I get from my 'off the shelf' digibox is not
> replicated by MythTV, camera 'pans' or news tickers etc.
>
> Would I be right in saying this can never be corrected just using a
> graphic boards TV out and that the only way to fix it is to use a TV
> card with a TV out also.
>
> And, does this problem apply to digital outs also eg. DVI or HDMI
> straight to a HD TV or does using digital eliminate the problem?
>
> Sorry if this means people repeating themselves, I just need it spelled out!
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon

>> I'm curious about this as well. I have an fx5200 using the TVOut
>> (actaully twinview using an LCD Monitor and the TVOut). Anyway, watching
>> regular SD TV programs is fine, but it's not even close to good enough
>> for sports, not even golf. I would love to be able to watch football and
>> be able to replay things since the normal broadcasts seem to show less
>> and less replays. Anyway, I've noticed if I put on LiveTV on a channel
>> with a ticker the ticker is not smooth.
>>
>> If I play a program with a ticker and I look at the TV and at the
>> Monitor (unfortunately not right next to each other) the TV seems vary
>> between stuttering and smooth, while on the monitor it's much more
>> consistent, but still not what I would call smooth.
>>
>> Does this sound more like you describe as an interlacing or frame rate
>> issue?
>>
>> James

>>> If you cannot get your monitor to use the same refresh rate as your
>>> source video signal (e.g. 50Hz for PAL) then you could be out of luck -
>>> as far as I can tell from what others say whilst some systems do a bit
>>> of cunning rate adaption in their deinterlacing algorithms, Myth
>>> currently doesn't.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested to hear if matching refresh to that of your source
>>> alleviates these issues - I've not had much luck this far with my
>>> monitor, but knowing it made a difference might motivate me to somehow
>>> "try harder" (or spend cash on different hardware :-/ )
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> kev.

I use Xfce and did notice that in the options to choose the screen mode,
when using the Nvidia drivers and SVIDIO out the resolutions are labled
as 52Hz? Could this be an inaccuracy in the GUI or would 2Hz be enough
to hinder the movement. Either way, I have ordered the bits I need to
make a VGA to SCART converter so, I'll see if that sorts it. Wish me
luck though as I haven't done much soldering before!