[mythtv-users] Getting lirc working on a Logitech Harmony 550

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 5 10:59:45 UTC 2007

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 04/10/2007, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Just to be clear, do you have a blaster (transmitter) or receiver?
>>>

>> I have an IR Blaster from irblaster.info (the one that they say works
>> with Myth).  I ran dmesg and saw the following entries for lirc:
>>                lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
>>                lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver.
>>

> Harry,
>
> Just to be sure we're not talking at cross-purposes here:
>
> i) my understanding is that you want to be able to control MythTV (and
> other LIRC software) with your Harmony remote control.
>
> ii) an IR blaster (what you state you have, and why I asked) is solely
> used to control an external device like a cable or satellite box, by
> 'pretending' to be a remote control. You configure LIRC to mimic the
> remote's commands, and it can change channel on the STB automatically
> via irsend.
>
> iii) an IR receiver (what you need to be able to use a remote to
> control MythTV, and what I worry do not actually have) receives the
> output from your remote control. When running LIRC with MythTV, LIRC
> decodes these signals and passes them to MythTV to allow you to
> navigate the menus and control playback etc.
>
> Only a combined IR receiver/blaster (transceiver) will allow you to
> use a remote control and control an external device as described
> above.

Yes, I want to be able to control the MythTV menu and such with my
remote, rather than having my wireless keyboard sitting in front of me.
I was under the impression that the IR Blaster would allow me to do
this.  I've seen that alot of people have this and have been using it,
but wasn't aware that it was only useful for changing channels on my
STB.  My existing remote already does that.  Plus, the description of it
at irblaster.info makes it seem like it would be able to control MythTV.

Oh well.  Anyway, do you have any recommendations on an IR receiver that
I could get for this purpose?  My pcHDTV-5500 card has an IR receiver on
it, but according to their website and documentation, it's not
supported, so I guess that's out.

Thanks for the useful information,
Harry