[mythtv-users] Getting lirc working on a Logitech Harmony 550

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 12:36:50 UTC 2007

On 05/10/2007, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Yes, I want to be able to control the MythTV menu and such with my
> remote, rather than having my wireless keyboard sitting in front of me.
> I was under the impression that the IR Blaster would allow me to do
> this.

As their site says, the IR blaster is an emitter, not a receiver.

> I've seen that alot of people have this and have been using it,
> but wasn't aware that it was only useful for changing channels on my
> STB.  My existing remote already does that.  Plus, the description of it
> at irblaster.info makes it seem like it would be able to control MythTV.

I only see the site say "designed to work with LIRC and works great
with numerous PVR projects including MythTV". An IR blaster is used to
remove the need to manually change the channel on a cable/satellite
box, as this can be automated by MythTV at the start of a recording.

> Oh well.  Anyway, do you have any recommendations on an IR receiver that I could get for this purpose?

There's a good choice of supported IR receivers - both USB and serial
based. You could buy the serial IR receiver from them -
http://irblaster.info/receiver.html. Receivers that plug into your
capture card (Hauppauge for example) are commonly limited in the
remote controls that they support. Serial IR receivers are simple to
make and cheap to buy and do not have this limitation.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/