[mythtv-users] Getting lirc working on a Logitech Harmony 550

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 5 14:19:32 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Close
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 9:43 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Getting lirc working on a Logitech Harmony 550

On 10/5/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/10/2007, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Nick Morrott wrote:
> > > 1. Just to be clear, do you have a blaster (transmitter) or receiver?
>
> > I have an IR Blaster from irblaster.info (the one that they say works
> > with Myth).  I ran dmesg and saw the following entries for lirc:
> >                lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major
61
> >                lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver.
>
> Harry,
>
> Just to be sure we're not talking at cross-purposes here:
>
> i) my understanding is that you want to be able to control MythTV (and
> other LIRC software) with your Harmony remote control.
>
> ii) an IR blaster (what you state you have, and why I asked) is solely
> used to control an external device like a cable or satellite box, by
> 'pretending' to be a remote control. You configure LIRC to mimic the
> remote's commands, and it can change channel on the STB automatically
> via irsend.
>
> iii) an IR receiver (what you need to be able to use a remote to
> control MythTV, and what I worry do not actually have) receives the
> output from your remote control. When running LIRC with MythTV, LIRC
> decodes these signals and passes them to MythTV to allow you to
> navigate the menus and control playback etc.
>
> Only a combined IR receiver/blaster (transceiver) will allow you to
> use a remote control and control an external device as described
> above.

Harry,

correct me if i'm wrong, but what i'm reading from your posts is that
you purchased an IR Blaster and have that installed.  your 'TV'
service has a set top box that you currently control with a dedicated
remote.  you already have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up and
working with your MythBox.

is that correct?

if so, (and list, please correct me if i'm wrong as i don't use this
setup) you 'may' be able to use the IR receiver that your keyboard
uses to get button pushes from your remote into Myth.  LIRC will then
decode them and control the various Myth functions.  if you want to
change channels on your set top box you will still need the IR
Blaster, so Myth can tell your STB to change channels.

forget the IR Blaster and the on order IR receiver for the moment.
look over the wiki and in the archives for details on how to use
'irrecord' and 'irw' to create your own lircd.conf file.  it's
actually very easy to do, and then you can customize it for your
remote and your preferences.  try to use irw and irrecord to capture
button presses from your remote pointed at your wireless keyboards ir
receiver that you have hooked up to your MythBox.  if irw is able to
receive signals then you can return the IR Receiver that you just
ordered.  after you've played with and tweaked your newly created
lircd.conf file (following the instructions on the wiki) you can go
about setting up the IR Blaster to change channels on your STB from
Myth using your harmony remote.

i hope i didn't muddy the water any with my comments.  i think you
just need to start at the beginning and take it one step at a time.
it sounds like you're trying to get too many different pieces to work
at once.

hope that helps

Honestly, I didn't even think that the IR receiver for my wireless keyboard
would be able to accept those remote commands.  If it can, that would be
great, since all I really want is mainly to hit the down arrow on the remote
and have the menu item go down by one.  Maybe be able to control xine or
mplayer if I'm watching videos (pause, FF, etc.) as well.  I will look into
the wiki and see if I can figure out something.  I'm not computer illiterate
by any means, but some of these concepts in Myth are very new to me (lirc,
TV capture cards, etc.), so I'm still learning as I go, which can only be a
positive in the long run.

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted.
Harry