[mythtv-users] Could someone just clarify a TV out question?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Oct 5 16:37:12 UTC 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 1:55 AM, Simon Bell wrote:
> Either way, I have ordered the bits I need to
> make a VGA to SCART converter so, I'll see if that sorts it. Wish me
> luck though as I haven't done much soldering before!

Do the SCART end first; it's a larger connector and easier to deal
with.  If you haven't done much soldering a high-density connector
like VGA's HD-15 will drive you crazy.  Sometimes for this kind of
custom work I'll buy a VGA extension cable and cut it just to avoid
having to deal with that connector.

Tip -- tin the ends of the wires with a light coating of solder
before inserting them into the pins.  This greatly simplifies things
-- you can insert the wire and then heat the pin to remelt the
solder, and you won't have to add much (if any) more.  This changes
it from an operation requiring three hands to one that only needs
two. ;)

If you get a solder bridge between two pins (always seems to happen
to me), try cleaning the end of the soldering iron thoroughly with a
wet rag and then touching it to the bridge.  Often the solder will
wick away, onto the clean iron.  If that doesn't work, heat up the
affected pins and then firmly tap the connector edgewise on the
workbench, with the bridged pins on the bottom.  This will usually
dislodge the solder.