[mythtv-users] Channel icons

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 5 17:20:43 UTC 2007

On 10/05/2007 01:02 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why the icons aren't stored once in the master
> backend (like most everything else) and then sent over the wire as required?

That's the plan (allow frontends to request channel icons using the Myth
protocol and then cache them locally).  The code just isn't done, yet.

Much will improve with channel icons in the future.
    - For SVN trunk users (and, therefore, for 0.21), the
channel_icons.pl script allows you to grab icons without a local
callsignnetworkmap and networkiconmap (the data that's in
master_iconmap.xml), so mythfilldatabase isn't even involved, and it
allows you to store to any directory (specified on the command-line),
does searches using more than just callsign (i.e. xmltvid), allows
manual searches (i.e. if your channel isn't found), and it sends
"updates" back to mythtv.org showing what icons you chose for your
channels (so the next time you run it it will automatically recognize
your channels) if you allow it to do so.  Oh, and it works well even for
people outside the US.
    - The capability in channel_icons.pl will most likely eventually be
made available through mythtv-setup and/or mythfrontend.
    - Eventually, channel icons (among other things) will only have to
be stored on the master backend and will be automatically provided to
clients.
    - Probably much more that I don't even know about...

Mike