[mythtv-users] mpeg2 playback quality captured with PVR-150

Chandi Bernier burni13 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 5 23:06:57 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've got a bad quality when watching stuff recorded from my PVR-150.

On some channels I've got diagonal lines but that seems to come from my cable signal which would be too low for the capture card.

But on all channels, the picture is not as sharp as regular TV and has a lot of artifacts. Those are mostly moire (colors appearing where there shouldn't be), the picture is a little bit flickering and solid colors are not solid anymore, we can see noise on them.

I've been trying many different configs today but none of them was acceptable enough to watch live TV.

My display resolution is 640x480 through DVI but I've also tried 1280x720, 720x480. My TV is an HDTV CRT from toshiba (26HF85C)

I've adjusted the capture resolution to 640x480 but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The bitrate is 7500/9000 but that also doesn't really make a difference.

I've tried many different filters settings like quickdnr with numbers ranging from 0 to 255.

I've also tried denoise3d with many different settings. While my CPU was too slow to play smoothly, I could at least see that the picture came out with more "vertical rectangles" artifacts.

Playbacks settings are as such :
Deinterlaced with Kernel
Preferred mpeg2 decoder : standard
Enabled OpenGL vertical sync
Video as timebase
extra audio buffering

But I've been playing all day long with those settings only to notice subtle changes in quality but nothing comparable to Regular TV.

I've also tried to play with v4l2-ctl settings for the capture card (spatial noise filter, temporal, etc) without any success.

My back/frontend is a P3-1000 with 512mb Nvidia 5500 card and I'm using Nvidia's drivers
Needless to say that the picture quality with menus, Divx and everything else is perfect.

Is anybody else suffering from the same problems ?
Has anybody been able to fix that ?

Thanks,

Chandi