[mythtv-users] Which video card to buy?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 01:41:59 UTC 2007

> Interesting, so a 5200 literally can't do 1080i? I'm slightly surprised;
> I would have assumed that between a 5200 and a 6200 there would be very
> little difference in mpeg2 decoding speed. But since Norm has a P4
> 3.2GHz and it can't play 1080i even though the processor is barely used,
>   it seems like it must be the graphics card.
> I have a 5200 that can play 1080i with XVMC. Only problem is XVMC
> randomly causes my system to lock up, causing mythfrontend to need a
> restart, or worse the machine needs a hard reset. I haven't bothered to
> look into sorting that out yet.
>
> Raphael

Let me be more clear on what i mean.  the 5200 and 6200 both can decode
1080i video with XvMC nearly the same speed (or offload from the proc).

what i was referring to was display resolution.  I was unable to get the
5200 to output 1080p to my display.  720p worked just fine.  With a 6200
1080p was set just fine.

Hope you see what i am saying now.

Mitchell