[mythtv-users] TV Display Problems

NoName Anonymous iwmdil at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 21:38:55 UTC 2007

I built a MythTV box about three months using http://wilsonet.com/mythtv.
Excellent document.  I have an NVidia 6600 card and the Fedora Core
graphical
install wouldn't recognize it, forcing a text install.   The unit was
working properly although I had to start things manually (login as
mythtv and then startx).

When
building the unit I had a strange problem when connected to my TV set.
Text looked fine and I could startx and the graphical interface looked
fine.  When I started the MythTV frontend it had funny colors.  It
reminded me of having the video levels turned up way too high.  No,
subtle shades, false colors with sharp shifts to other colors.
Watching TV had the same problem.  Watching recorded shows too.
Strangely, watching movies (probably on a DIVX codec) seems to work
just fine.

I reinstalled the video drivers and did some other things and the problem went away.

Then
my MoBo fried.  I got a replacement (warranty, Newegg) and installed it
and this video problem is back.  I reseated the card, reran the card
installation steps from the Wilson document but it won't behave.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

In
the Wilson document he runs a script file that loads the Nvidia
settings.  However, he puts that in the ~/.kde subdirectory and I could
have sworn he suggested changing to Gnome.  How can I tell if I'm
running KDE or Gnome?

For whatever reason I can't even get to
the desktop at the moment.  It autostarts MythFrontend.  Where is the
autostart specified so that I can temporarily disable it?  When I exit
MythTV it errors out the X Session and brings me back to a command
prompt.

I can watch movies, once I finish navigating the distorted screens, but I'd like to get just a bit more out of the box.  :-)

Thanks for any help, most importantly where I can go to start a logical troubleshooting path.