[mythtv-users] GeForce 6150 and 1080i Component Output Overscan Frustration

Craig G. craig at goranson.org
Sun Oct 7 02:34:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 14:39 -0500, Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard which has a built-in GeForce 6150. My
> TV is a Toshiba 50H81 rear projection. I've been going crazy getting output
> that isn't terribly overscanned.
>
> I've set the overscan on my TV which supports 1080i mode to bare minimum
> using the service menu. The 1920x1080 desktop extends beyond what the TV
> considers valid video information. My expectation is the there should be
> about 1920 dots across.
>
> The only way I could get any output out of the component jacks is using a
> preconfigured mode like "HD1080i". I can't find anyway to get the driver to
> cough up its modeline timings. Any time I try to set my own modeline it
> gets tossed during X load. Here are the essentials from my xorg.conf:
>

> Has anyone had success getting the GeForce component output to bend to your
> will? Any tips or help?
>
> Dale

Dale,

I have the exact same TV, which I use with a GeForce 6XXX series card
(can't remember which one, and am too comfortable at the moment to go
check.)    I was never able to adjust the nvidia card to get the
overscan fixed at 1080i, and even went in and mucked with the advanced
setup on my TV itself to try to reduce the overscan.    The workaround I
found was going into setup -> Appearance in mythtv and then use the GUI
adjustment settings to adjust the GUI on the screen, so the GUI was
filling the visible space of the tv.  (uses the GUI size, and GUI
offset settings.)    Then I checked the box to tell it to use the GUI
size for TV playback.  That will get the GUI centered in the viewable
area, and make sure the programs are displayed as well.   Then I set the
desktop background on the machine to be black, so there is no bleeding
of light from the overscan'd areas that aren't visible.  Its not a
perfect solution, but it works fairly well.
Am using GuiWidth 1705, GuiHeight 1012, GuioffsetX 114, guioffsety 44.
Those settings might vary as your tv's overscan might be tuned
differently then mine, but it might be a starting point.

Best of Luck,
Craig