[mythtv-users] Channel icons

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 7 12:09:03 UTC 2007

On 10/07/2007 01:49 AM, Michael Rice wrote:
> On 10/4/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> b) (Proper approach)
>>   1) open a brand new shell (assuming BASH),
>>   2) run the following commands (adjusting destination as appropriate)
>>      mv ~/.mythtv/channels /video/channels
>>      export MYTHCONFDIR=/video
>>      mythfilldatabase --reset-icon-map all
>>      mythfilldatabase --update-icon-map
>>      exit
> I did this and it works and picks the right icons for the most part.
> There seems to be a problem in that the size of the network field is
> only 20 characters:
>
> mysql> describe callsignnetworkmap;
> +----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
> | Field    | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
> +----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
> | id       | int(11)     | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
> | callsign | varchar(20) | NO   | UNI |         |                |
> | network  | varchar(20) | NO   |     |         |                |
> +----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
>

> mysql> select * from callsignnetworkmap where network like '%discov%';
> +-----+-----------+----------------------+
> | id  | callsign  | network              |
> +-----+-----------+----------------------+
> |  66 | c4-21     | LyngSat-tv/dd/discov |

> In my case dscp and dckids both end up with the kids icon
> (discovery_kids.jpg).
> Can I increase this field somehow without causing problems?

Well, in the SVN trunk version of Myth, we still have the same
20-character size for callsign and network (meaning there have been no
DB updates that changed it)--as a matter of fact, the table description
is identical to yours.  Therefore, if you were to change it, there
wouldn't be any conflicts with the existing database updates (and your
DB will upgrade itself nicely).

However, it's possible that a DB update will be incorporated into Myth
in the future that may be incompatible with your change.  Therefore, as
always, if you make any modifications to the DB schema, the
responsibility for the consequences is your own.  You may want to change
it, reset and import the iconmap, and get your icons, then change it
back (once the icons are in, the tables don't get used any more).

On a side note, though--and this is pure speculation--the
callsignnetworkmap and networkurlmap tables don't make much sense once
the channel-icon-retrieval capabilities that are in SVN trunk
(channel_icons.pl and the perl bindings on which it relies) are
available.  Therefore, I'd guess that it's unlikely that anyone will
ever do any DB updates that touch either of the two tables until,
eventually, a DB update drops the two tables.

Mike