[mythtv-users] OSD fonts badly rendered on a 16:9 TV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 7 22:47:05 UTC 2007

On 10/07/2007 05:28 PM, Nicolas Will wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 16:47 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> And, after much discussion in IRC, we have come to the conclusion that
>> there's a possibility it's an issue with the font (or reading of the
>> font) itself.  If so, there are a couple of workarounds you can use.
>>
>> BTW, which theme is it?  I didn't recognize it from the pics.
>>
> blootube-osd, fro the author's web site.
>
> I had the same issue with at least another one that came as part of the
> Ubuntu theme packages. I did not stay long with any of those.

blootube-osd uses Vera fonts.

You can work around this by either

a) editing /usr/share/mythtv/themes/blootube-osd/osd.xml and commenting
out all of the <filename>Vera*.ttf</filename> lines, as:
  <!-- <filename>Vera.ttf</filename> -->
at which point your OSD will use the font you specify in the frontend
settings for "OSD Font" (it's in the Playback settings, not the
Appearance settings).  Note that this is the state of the "current"
(development?) version of blootube-osd (and because of exactly the issue
you've seen with the fonts), so doing this is not a bad thing.

b) by making Myth use a different font in place of Vera; i.e. as the
user running mythfrontend, do:
ln -s /usr/share/mythtv/FreeSans.ttf ~/.mythtv/Vera.ttf
ln -s /usr/share/mythtv/FreeSansBold.ttf ~/.mythtv/VeraBd.ttf

If you were to do a) then (as the user that runs mythfrontend)

cp /usr/share/mythtv/themes/blootube-osd/Vera*.ttf ~/.mythtv/

then change the OSD Font setting to Vera (the UI might label it Vera
Sans or something), I would be very interested in knowing if it displays
properly.  If not, change the OSD Font setting to something like
FreeSans and run:

rm ~/.mythtv/Vera*.ttf

To put things back to a working state.

Thanks,