[mythtv-users] Fanless, not only quiet

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Oct 8 17:07:33 UTC 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 2:50 AM, Gene Stapp wrote:
> The noise you were hearing was vibration being transferred to the
> metal of your case. Pretty much the only way to get rid of it is
> through suspending the drives.

Although applying something like Dynamat or B-Quiet to the case
panels might help.  This stuff is well-known to car audio types, who
use it for damping panel vibrations caused by subwoofers, and for
deadening road noise.  Foam absorbs high-frequency noise and stops it
from being reflected.  Dynamat and products of its type are designed
to dampen the motion of whatever they're attached to and prevent it
from resonating and transmitting low-frequency sounds.  I looked into
it several years ago as a possible solution to making a VW Bus
bearable for long trips, although I ended up selling the vehicle for
unrelated reasons before I got around to doing that project.  (Old
VWs make modern cars sound like the inside of a church by comparison!)

This stuff is not cheap -- it's about $5 per square foot -- but you
won't need much to do a computer case.  The hard part might be
getting a small quantity -- most places assume you're going to be
doing a whole car interior and want to sell you $200 worth.  You
don't necessarily need to cover every square inch of every panel to
get a deadening effect.