[mythtv-users] 1080p minimum TV size

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:50:11 UTC 2007

On 10/8/07, David Fishburn <dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given a 40" TV, can you notice a difference between the 3 resolutions?
>  1080p is really the new thing in the store which comes at a premium.
> I am trying to figure out if it is worth while to spend the additional
> bucks.  If we end up saying it is not worth it since the TV is too
> small to see a difference then great, I will save my money.
>
> TIA,
> Dave

I would suggest you review sites like avsforum.com.  There will likely
be much more discussion of this topic.  And you'll get every answer.
The right answer is, of course, it depends.

It really depends on how close you'll be sitting to it.  I replaced my
46" 720p with a 50" 1080p (original broke), and I sit about 14 ft away
I guess.  I could tell the difference.  But only because in the past I
never thought the 1080i networks looked any better than the 720p
networks.  Now the best NBC show is a touch better than the best ABC
show, but it's really close.

Personally, I had to make the same choice, and it was mostly driven by
ego.  I didn't want to end up getting an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray down the
line and not having a 1080p display.  So I vote for the 1080p or the
issue will always nag you and you'll always wonder if you made the
right choice :)

Billy