[mythtv-users] OT: Size (MB) of Samsung HD501LJ drive?

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Tue Oct 9 00:50:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 16:32 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:27 PM, MythTV wrote:
> > Mine are all in a hardware raid 6, but they show up under the 3ware
> > raid
> > tool as:
> >
> > SAMSUNG HD501LJ 465.76 GB
> >
> > I was a little surprised when I bought them that there was 35 gig
> > missing from what I was expecting.
>
> Probably they're using the "1 megabyte = 1 million bytes" convention.
>
> 465.76 * 1024 * 1024 = 488,384,758
>
> Probably rounds to 500,000,000 bytes if you look at it before
> formatting, with a salesman's eyes, and squint a bit.

3ware controllers 'right-size' a drive to avoid problems of using
different drives from different manufacturers. In the 3ware docs they
call this 'coercion'. That's where your space went :)

I did some estimates before purchasing and doing some math found the
following:

	MFG Size, OS Size, 3Ware Coercion
	1000GB, 932GB, 930GB
	750GB, 698.25GB, 695GB
	500GB, 465.5GB, 465GB

The sweet spot seems to be the 750GB drives. You can get just a few of
them not to worry about heat and noise yet still get a reasonable amount
of space out of them so as not to drive up the cost/gb.

--
Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc>