[mythtv-users] Suitable Hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Oct 9 21:11:09 UTC 2007

Mike OZ wrote:
> Thanks Scott
>
> I have just found that my suggested mother board only has one IDE
> controller. Seems that this is general with just about all boards and
> has caught me by surprise. Guess I should buy MBs more often.
>
> My solution is to use a "InnoVISION EIO-1680 ATA-133 IDE RAID
> Controller" which uses the PCI bus. I already have two 300gb IDE drives
> which I want to use. Do you think that it would work okay. The
> InnoVISION site does not give specs for the board but elsewhere there
> are comments that it works with Linux OS. Does that mean it will work
> with all versions?

Do you mean only 1 PATA port? I haven't seen a board that didn't have 2
PATA ports (two IDE controllers), but I don't buy a lot of mobos.

Why do you need more than one? Does the board have SATA ports? I agree
that it's not a great idea to put an optical drive on the same bus with
an HDD but there are SATA DVD drives.

If you want RAID I suspect that board would work, but buying it just to
get additional PATA ports is bad economics. It also ties up a PCI slot,
those are getting scarcer with the PCI-Express mobos.

Personally if I wanted RAID I'd go with Linux software RAID, not a H/W
controller, but many disagree with me on that.

beww