[mythtv-users] WakeOnAlarm: Searching for the cause of failure

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:37:41 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter at home.se> wrote:

> Hello Craig!
>
> > Peter,
> >

> I'm running Debian. Even if it's aimed at Ubuntu I found the following
> very informative and I have tried to follow it.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/WhatNext/ACPIWake
>

> > HTH.
>
> Unfortunately not. WOL and wake-on-keyboard works for me. The problem
> for me is that no matter what I set in the BIOS it will not wake up.
>
> If you are able to dig up anything else I would very much appreciate it.
> Thanks for the advice so far.
>
> Peter,

Paul Harrison has jogged my memory about another "gotcha".  IIRC, some
motherboards tie the BIOS setting for the APM RTC alarm function to the
ACPI RTC alarm function so either they're both enabled or both disabled.
Just to confuse everyone (I think ;-) others have them diametrically opposed
so that enabling the APM RTC alarm function effectively disables the ACPI
RTC alarm function and vice versa.  In short, you need to try tests with
both
states of the BIOS controlled APM RTC alarm function.  If you have no luck
with either state, then try them again with the reboot operation put into
effect.

IIRC, Matthias Hensler's webpage for Suspend2 under Fedora Core had some
discussion of how to work with motherboards that require reboots to get the
alarm to work.  See http://mhensler.de/swsusp/

Another place to research is the ACPI HOWTO created by Ariel Glenn at
Columbia University.  See
http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/<http://www.columbia.edu/%7Eariel/acpi/>
At times, I found the text version to be better to work with and at others,
the
html version worked better.  I guess it depended on whether I was really
reading
the text or chasing the cross-references.

Perhaps some of these suggestions will help.

Craig.